Nr Temple Sowerby
Newbiggin Hall is a collection of buildings, the earliest of which dates from just after 1322. A large degree of rebuilding and redesign was undertaken in the 1500's, with further additions and changes made in 1533, 1796 and 1846.
The hall backs onto the church of St James, and it looks almost as if the Norman and 14th century church may have been a private chapel to the original pele tower here.
One tower here, the Jerusalem Tower, was built around 1460, and was used as a refuge for the Crackenthorpe family when they were fighting in the Wars of the Roses. The Crackenthorpes acquired ownership of Newbiggin in around 1332, just after the first tower was built.