Ashton Hall, the headquarters and home of Lancaster Golf Club, lies about 3 miles outside of Lancaster, just off the A588. The hall was originally a 14th century tower house, but has been added to at various times in the past, most notably in 1856.
The original tower was built sometime in the 1300's, and is made of local red sandstone. This part of the building stands out in contrast to the later additions which are mainly built in grey limestone. The original building is a rectangle with four diagonally projecting towers. The towers and the main body of the older part of the hall, retain the 15th century battlements. Nearly all the original windows have been blocked up and replaced with corbelled windows some time in the 1500's. If you look closely at the walls, the original windows can still be seen.
The hall was the ancestral home to the Lawrences, and was probably built by Edmund Lawrence who died around 1381. The Lawrence family held Ashton Hall from the early 14th century until the early part of the 16th century.
The more recent addition to the hall dates from 1856, and was built on the site of a 17th century wing that was demolished to make way for the new building.
The earthwork remains of medieval fishponds can still be seen in the grounds of the hall.