In 1569, Sir Thomas MacLellan obtained the land on which the convent was built, and all but demolished the building, leaving only the chancel of the church standing. This portion of the original building was commandeered as the burial vault of the MacLellan family. The church remains survive today on the opposite side of St Cuthbert's road.
Kirkcudbright's church today. (photo courtesy of Martin Russell)
The castle, really no more than a fortified manor house, was built for show rather than defensive prowess, and when completed was undoubtedly one of the most spectacular houses in Scotland.
(Photo courtesy of Martin Russell)
(photo courtesy of Martin Russell)
All are at ground level, and all are situated near to doorways, therefore providing protection of the weak areas of the castle's defences.