Douglas Bay
Douglas
Isle of Man
The Tower of Refuge sits on a low slung rock called Conister, or St Mary's Rock. At high tide, the rock is invisible, and before the tower was built, posed a serious threat to ships as they made their way into Douglas Harbour from the North East. The tower was built in 1832, and had no military significance. Instead it was placed on the low lying rocks as a way of warning sea borne traffic of the hidden rocks at high tide.

The Tower of Refuge at low tide. (Photos courtesy of Martin Russell)
No comments:
Post a Comment