Built for Prior Christopher Slee in 1528 the gatehouse would have protected and controlled the entrance into the cathedral precincts. The gatehouse has variously been known as The Abbey Slee’s gatehouse, Abbey Street Lodge and the Abbey Gate and Gatehouse.
It is built of the locally recognisable red sand stone, and stands at the head of Dean Tait’s Lane, where Paternastor Row and Abbey Street meet. The huge wooden doors that can be seen within the archway are the originals.
From the inside of the precincts, and looking at the gatehouse, an incomplete archway can be seen on the right hand side of the gatehouse, indicating the demolition of some buildings here.