The Water Tower
The water tower lays at the South Western corner of the abbey precincts, and marks the end of the Marygate walls at the river's edge. The tower is thought to have been built sometime between 1318 and 1324.
Above. A view of the Water tower from the Yorkshire Eye across the river Ouse.
The tower is circular in plan, with a hexagonal interior. There are five arrow slits in the thick walls, and a door to the rear.
The small postern attached to the tower, shown above, is of no great antiquity. The tower is thought to have originally been crenelated, although the top portion of the structure is now missing, and was also two storey high.