Tower D is situated on Bootham, at the Northern extremes of the abbey precincts. The tower would have formed part of the abbey defences, linking with the city walls at Bootham.
Above. Tower D looking South East.
The tower was most likely built around 1266, and may represent the original form that Tower A and Tower B may taken. It probably stands to its full original height, and still retains its crenelations and a narrow parapet walk.