Traffic travelled over Miller Bridge from the Canal works, up Kent street, across the bottom of Finkle Street, and through Branthwaite Lane into the Market Place. For this reason, it was deemed necessary to widen the street by 24 feet, and property was purchased on the South and the East side to be demolished or partially demolished to allow these changes. A row of houses on the West side of street was totally demolished, whilst the other properties had the fronts removed.
The plaque on the wall shows two dates....1851, and 1853. 1851 relates to the widening of Branthwaite Brow, and 1853 relates to the date the plates were used in the building of the shops.
Check the website for Hogarths the Jewellers in Kendal.