Sunday, August 24, 2008

Muncaster Castle, Muncaster

Muncaster Castle

Muncaster castle can be found on the A595, East of Ambleside, and South of Egremont. The castle is a mish-mash of medieval tower, later additions and 19th century wings and towers. The earliest part of the castle we see today, is the 13th or 14th century pele tower, shown here on the right hand side of the photo. The original site most likely had a series of earthworks providing additional protection. These have now obviously gone, replaced by other buildings and the vast gardens.

The castle was most likely built by the Penningtons, possibly when they deserted the ring work at Pennington, some time in the mid 1200's. There may have been some sort of fortification here before the pele tower, but whatever form that took, is no longer visible. The tower measures 12 metres by 9 metres, and has walls around 2 metres thick. This original tower has a stair tower in its left rear corner...only just visible on the above photo.

Above. Muncaster Castle from Ellerbeck.

The Penningtons changed their names to de Mulcaster, and the family's descendants remain at the castle today.

Check Muncaster's official website.

No comments: