Old Sedgwick Gunpowder works,
Visible from Hawes Bridge over the River Kent, some two miles South of Kendal, and about a mile West of Natland, the remains of the weir and mill race can still be seen in the waters of the River Kent.
Above. Looking South along the River Kent.
Looking at the photo above and below....the scant remains of the weir and mill race can still be seen. There is a large inlet and then a narrower channel that runs along the far river bank. This would have originally have channeled water from the river, into a fast flowing head race, which would then have directed the water towards a wheel pit with a water wheel in. This wheel would have been used to power mills for milling and preparing the gunpowder.
The Old Sedgwick gun powder works operated from 1764 until 1850. It was the earliest gunpowder works in the area.